My laptop was stolen in United can I protect myself against identity theft in U.S. ?

You are right to be concerned
about identity theft since
identity thieves can use your
personal financial information to access bank
accounts and credit cards, and make
unauthorized transactions in your name. As a
result, it’s important to act fast in order to
protect yourself from any potential attempts at
misusing your financial information.
Your first step should be to contact one of the
three major credit reporting agencies, i.e.,
Equifax, Experian, or Transunion, and place a
fraud alert on your credit report to prevent
someone from opening a new account in your
name. The agency you contact will then forward
your information to the other two agencies. You
can also find out if your state allows you to
“freeze” your credit report, which will prevent
any unauthorized access to your credit
information. Once you place a fraud alert on
your credit report, you are entitled to a free
copy of your report from each of the credit
reporting agencies. Review each of your credit
reports and notify the agencies of any
fraudulent or suspicious activity. You should
also contact any financial institutions or credit
card companies with which you have accounts.
Ask to have your current accounts closed and
open new ones with new account numbers. If
possible, you should also request that your new
accounts include additional safeguards such as
password protection.
Finally, if you suspect that your financial
information has already been misused, you’ll
want to consider taking the following steps:
• Contact the appropriate financial institution
and dispute any unauthorized charges or
transactions as soon as possible. Generally,
your liability will depend on how quickly you
notify them.
• Consider filing a complaint with the Federal
Trade Commission (FTC), which will entitle
you to certain identity theft protections. You
can go to for more information.
• File a police report with your local law
enforcement agency. A police report can be
helpful when filing an extended fraud alert or
disputing unauthorized transactions.