When you declare bankruptcy you go through a highly emotional moment. Stress will pile up and what you do is going to affect your self-image, reputation and future credit. Every person that files for bankruptcy goes through the struggles of rebuilding credit while loan securing becomes a challenge. Lifestyle changes happen and you are faced with a rollercoaster of emotions. However, this does not mean everything will be bad.
What many do not realize is that bankruptcy also has some serious advantages. They do offer relief if you are faced with debt. You can avoid the letters and phone calls that demand payments and the entire process is nowadays much simpler than it used to be, especially when hiring an experienced bankruptcy attorney. In order to offer the information you need, remember that bankruptcy filing brings in the following important advantages:
- Older liabilities (those that are over 3 years old) will go away.
- Repossessions, missed debt payments, lawsuits and defaults that could hurt credit score more are avoided.
- You can start rebuilding credit sooner rather than later.
- While student loan debt cannot be eliminated, bankruptcy will stop lenders form using their aggressive collection actions.
- The fact that you will lose credit cards is actually an advantage since this removes the appeal of using them and ending up in more debt.
- You get a new start as you face the reality you are bankrupt.
- You avoid the embarrassment of having to go through dunning letters, phone calls from your creditors, cancelled CC cards and declined authorizations for credit charges.
- You avoid having your name listed in the papers or in court records because you are sued.
- You can still obtain loans from lenders that are specialized in dealing with people in your situation.
- State exemptions will allow you to avoid the situation in which several owned items will be repossessed.
- Trustees and judges surely heard stories that are way worse than yours and the fact that you file for bankruptcy means you take responsibility. This can actually give you preferential treatment.
As you can see, filing for bankruptcy is not a bad thing. In fact, in the event your experienced bankruptcy lawyer recommends it, this is exactly what you should do. There are so many situations in which bankruptcies proved to be the best thing that happened to someone, simply because it offers a brand new financial start. It is tough but it is much easier than having to deal with fighting a constant bad financial situation without having any real way of getting out of debt.
The only thing that does need to be added is that it is really important to hire a highly experienced bankruptcy attorney. His/her help will be really valuable as you are 100% sure all documents are properly filed and you are represented in front of authorities. Whenever you look for a bankruptcy attorney, always hire the best one you can find. This is the smartest thing you can do to get you back on track.