We adhere to strict standards of editorial integrity to help you make decisions with confidence. Please be aware this post may contain links to products from our partners. We may receive a commission for products or services you sign up for through partner links.
This offer is not available for residents of Quebec.
The TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card is a versatile credit card with competitive earn rates and a comprehensive travel insurance package.
If you like to collect Aeroplan Points or are a frequent traveler, we recommend reading up on this card and to see if you can take advantage of its benefits. This card might just be the one for you.
TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* card: Pros and cons
- The card has a high earn rate for Aeroplan Points on eligible gas, grocery and direct through Air Canada® purchases (including Air Canada Vacations® made with your card, generating 1.5 points† per $1 spent on eligible purchases.
- Get an annual fee rebate for the first year† (To receive the first-year annual fee rebate, you must activate your Card and make your first purchase on the account within the first 3 months after Account opening and you must add your Additional Cardholders by January 4, 2024.)
- Insurance offered includes coverage in the categories that travellers need, and is generally better than its Aeroplan peers at a similar annual fee level.
- No airport lounge membership or free lounge access.
- Aeroplan points can’t be redeemed for flights outside the Star Alliance network, nor can they be redeemed for cash credit. This makes them less flexible than some competing travel rewards programs.
TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card's sign up offer lets you earn up to $1,400 in value†, including up to 50,000 Aeroplan points† and additional travel benefits. Must be approved by January 3, 2024.
- Earn a welcome bonus of 10,000 Aeroplan points when you make your first purchase with your new card†
- Earn 25,000 Aeroplan points when you spend $5,000 within 180 days of Account opening†
- Plus, earn an anniversary bonus of 15,000 Aeroplan points when you spend $7,500 within 12 months of Account opening†
- Enroll for NEXUS and once every 48 months get an application fee rebate†
- Plus, share free first checked bags with up to 8 travel companions†
- Get an annual fee rebate for the first year† (To receive the first-year annual fee rebate, you must activate your Card and make your first Purchase on the Account within the first 3 months after Account opening and you must add your Additional Cardholders by January 4, 2024).
Benefits and features of the TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card
Combined with the current sign up bonus, the Visa Infinite program offers a great collection of additional perks. Here are the excellent travel benefits for frequent flyers that come with the TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card:
Travel insurance coverage
This card offers a comprehensive travel insurance package, including some things not typically covered by other credit card insurance programs. Here are some things this card’s insurance covers:
|Travel Medical Emergency†||Up to $2,000,000 for the first 21 days (4 days for those over 65); Additional top-up coverage is available|
|Travel Accident†||Up to $500,000|
|Trip Cancellation†||Up to $1,500 per person to a max. $5,000|
|Trip Interruption†||Up to $5,000 per person with a max of $25,000|
|Flight/Trip Delay†||Up to $500 (after 4 hours)|
|Delayed/Lost Baggage†||Up to $1,000 (after 6 hours)|
|Car Rental Insurance†||Up to 48 days|
|Hotel/Motel Burglary Insurance†||Up to $2,500 for items stolen from hotels/motels|
First checked bag free
This card’s perks extend even further to checking your bags when you get to your flight. Cardholders will get their first checked bag free for themselves as well as up to 8 other travelers on the same reservation, when your flight originates on an Air Canada flight.†
Emergency travel assistance program
Cardholders have access to a toll-free number for any issues or emergencies when it comes to your travels.
Aeroplan point expiration
As long as your credit card account is in good standing, your Aeroplan points will never expire.
How to earn points
With the TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card, you’ll earn Aeroplan points on everyday purchases you make with your card. You can earn 1.5 Aeroplan points† for every $1 on eligible gas, grocery and direct through Air Canada® purchases (including Air Canada Vacations®) made with your card. You earn 1 Aeroplan point† for every $1 spent on all other purchases. When you pay with your Card and present your Aeroplan Membership Card at participating retailers and the Aeroplan eStore, you can earn twice the Aeroplan points†.
Earn big rewards on the little things: Earn 50% more Aeroplan Points and 50% more Stars at participating Starbucks® stores. Simply link your TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card to your Starbucks® Rewards account. Conditions apply. Learn more here.
How to redeem points
With the current Aeroplan points program, it’s much easier to redeem those points. You can do so directly through the aircanada.ca website or the AirCanada app. The whole process has been transformed offering you more transparency and simplicity when redeeming your Aeroplan points.
Rates and fees
The TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card comes with some standard interest rates. You’ll pay 20.99% on standard purchases, 22.99% on balance transfers, as well as 22.99% on cash advances.
- Annual fee: $139
- Additional cardholder† annual fees: $75
- Cash advance transaction: 1% of the amount of the transaction (minimum fee of $3.50 up to a maximum fee of $10.00) (in Canada) or $5.00 (outside Canada), plus $3.00 at a PLUS* network ATM. (Fee does not apply to a Balance Transfer or TD Visa Cheque).
- Foreign transaction fee: 2.5%
- Dishonoured payment fees: $48
- Rush card fee (per rush delivery request): $25
- Overlimit fee: $29
- Balance transfer / cheque fee: 3% of the amount of each Balance Transfer or TD Visa Cheque
Who is eligible for the card?
In order to be eligible for this card you have to be a Canadian resident at the age of majority of their province or territory. You’ll also have to have a minimum personal income of $60,000 or household income of $100,000 as well as a credit score in the good to excellent range.
How to get the TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* card
Applying for the TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card is simple- you can click here to apply online. You need to fill out information on your name, address, occupation, income, and credit history. The application process shouldn’t take you too long so long as you have the information on hand.
How does it compare?
|Card name||TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card||American Express® Gold Rewards Card|
|Welcome bonus||Earn up to $1,400 in value† including up to 50,000 Aeroplan points†. Conditions Apply. Account must be approved by January 3, 2024.||A maximum 25,000-point welcome bonus, enough for a return long haul flight anywhere in continental North America.|
|Earn rates||Earn 1.5 Aeroplan points† per $1 spent on eligible gas, grocery, and direct through Air Canada® purchases (including Air Canada Vacations®) made with your card; 1 point† per $1 spent on everything else||2 points per $1 spent on gas, grocery, drugstore, and travel purchases; 1 point per $1 spent on everything else|
|Key features||Comprehensive travel insurance program†. Earn Aeroplan points twice at participating retailers and the Aeroplan eStore†.||Flexibility when redeeming points; transfer points to Aeroplan 1:1|
|Regular interest rates||Purchases: 20.99%; Cash Advances: 22.99%; and Balance Transfers: 22.99%||Purchases: 30%|
- Earn 1.5 points† for every $1 spent on eligible gas, grocery and direct through Air Canada® purchases (including Air Canada Vacations®) made with your card
- Earn 1 point† for every $1 spent on all other Purchases made with your Card
As an Amex, the American Express® Gold Rewards Card has more limited merchant acceptance rates than a Visa or Mastercard, which is definitely a drawback. But the American Express® Gold Rewards Card does have a hidden feature worth pointing out: its Amex Membership Rewards points can be transferred 1:1 to Aeroplan. And if you instead opt to keep the points you earn as Amex points they will still be more flexible than Aeroplan points, as you can redeem Amex points directly against a charge to your credit card.
TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite card: Our verdict
In my opinion, the card’s best features are the travel insurance program and high earn rate. Rewards are valued higher when redeemed for Air Canada flights and lounges but if you can make your travel plans align, it can be worth it.
This card is a great option for eligible, frequent travellers who can take advantage of the high earn categories and practical travel perks. Its sign up bonus gives the card immediate value, while the earn rates and included travel insurance maintain the card’s value even as you pay an annual fee. Those looking for a more premium version, check out the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege Card.Apply for the TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card
†Terms and conditions apply.